Coffee Amo @ Petaling Street/China Town

Dine in Date: 21st March 2015 & 26th April 2015

Coffee Amo is the second cafe in my to-visit list, I never knew there is one highly recommended cafe in Petaling Street. Probably because I always have the perception that Petaling Street is now full of food business for the foreigners, and not so interested in nice cafe stuff. And it's located at somewhere I pass by a lot of time and quite convenient for me to reach there by LRT.

About Coffee Amo

"Amo" is the meaning of "love" in Spanish. Coffee Amo could mean "coffee love" or "loving coffee". Either way, Coffee Amo is sort of a hidden gem in Petaling Street, like a small hideout or a treasure to be found by coffee lovers. But they are not so ordinary, other than focusing on delivering bliss of touch on their coffee, the environment and atmosphere in Coffee Amo is specially designed by the owner(s), who was designer/artist before opening this cafe.

Having some taste of design in Coffee Amo, it's not like some complicated or highly luxury design that need the real class artist to understand. There are tons of chalk design drew nicely all over the wall. As well as portraits (not sure if drew by the owner) can be seen in several corner of the cafe.

The cafe don't look really high class and too modern, but that's what make the place look really classic and you don't need to be a diehard fans of arts to enjoy the simple yet cute design. It could bring back the feel when we were child and we used to thought that we want to decorate our own room with our own cute drawing style, and hanging some colorful painting around the room.

You probably wonder if there is anything special about their coffee. I can tell you that their coffee is not too great, which you really can't ask for too much. But their great talent in designing cross apply with coffee, which successfully allow their customer to enjoy coffee with 3D arts on top of it. So you no longer drink coffee as it is and you can have a special feeling every time you wanted to take a sip at your coffee, and you see the creativity on top of your cup of coffee.

Other than coffee, Coffee Amo also offer sandwiches and snacks just in case you suddenly crave for something to bite. And the price is average like many other place, despite adding their designing talent into their food & drinks.

First Visiting Experience

I reach Petaling Street at about 8 something and start looking for Coffee Amo. I follow the GPS in my phone and everything was good, until I've been lead to a point where the GPS inform me that I had reach my destination.... but looking around, I don't see any cafe around. I thought it's somewhere further from what my GPS showing to me, so I walk around but end up found nothing.

At this point, I kind of feel uncomfortable because along the street, there are a lot of homeless people sitting around, which block most of the walk-able road, and there was one weird guy staring at me for awhile and he kind of like following me in a slow pace. I quickly walk away to continue my search. When I got back to the destination as shown in my GPS, I still couldn't see Coffee Amo.... Just when I thought of giving up, I suddenly focus my eyes a little hard and found a board written "Coffee Amo" on the opposute road. It was there the whole time but I didn't notice it because I was expecting something more obvious, so I didn't expect this at all. The board is a little old, looks colorful but not sure if it's due to the night time, I felt that the color is really dull.... as in not that type of colorful that make you feel cheer up. Anyway, I walk towards that board and I'm a little surprise to see it like this.....



I don't really mind if the entrance is looking nice or not, I just doesn't expect something like this at all. But since I had reach my destination, I just go right in.

The first step as I pass through the door with "Coffee Amo" on top of it, it's a long wooden stair. And it was dead silent as I walk up. I feel like something or someone might assault me anytime. Although I know nothing like that would happen.... I think.

As I reach the end of the wooden stair, at first I am a little surprise because the first thing that caught my attention is the wide empty space on my right. But as my eyes explore from the right to the left..... There! There is one door with "Coffee Amo", so that's the one. I was afraid that Coffee Amo is no longer there when I saw the wide space.

So I proceed towards that door.... seems okay from the outside. I open the door, and what happen next is, there are total of 5 customers in the cafe and counting in the staff, total of 7 pair of eyes stare directly to me. I'm not sure why this seems like a big thing....

And then another unexpected thing happen.

As I took my first step after opening the door, my left leg fall on the wooden floor which cause me to stunned awhile but I quickly cover up my shock-ness and pretend nothing happen. Because I thought the floor is going to crack and open up a big hole due to my weight. The wooden floor is not solid ground type. Every step on the floor can make you feel your weight is pressuring the wooden floor so your whole body will go down a little for every step you take. And the foot step is quite loud that it increase the mysterious feel in the cafe.

Anyway, the first thing I do is of course, walking directly to the counter. The guy just look at me and awaiting my order. I look through the menu and decided to order Lemon Cheese Cake and Green Tea Latte (due to caffeine overdose on that day, I don't want to take another cup of coffee). Then, I sit down and do my stuff, and the food & drinks that I ordered came to me shortly after that.

Lemon Cheese Cake & Green Tea Latte

About the lemon cheese cake, I have to say I'm quite disappointed with it. I'm a big fan of lemon cheese cake but this one really doesn't worth the price and expectation. The textture of the cheese cake is quite hard. The cheese is quite heavy although I can still taste the lemon flavor, but in overall all I could taste is cheese. I taken half of it and I feel really jelak.... I had a hard time finishing it. The crust is just fine, although I prefer it to be slightly softer and crunchier.

As for the green tea latte, the green tea is more than the milk, a little bitter because of the green tea but can taste the milk at the same. Both of them doesn't cover each other, and I like it that the milk doesn't cover most of the taste so it doesn't taste too sweet.

Despite knowing that lemon cheese cake & green tea latte is not the best in their list, I don't think that I'm suppose to do sufficient research and only order their top signature cake & coffee.

The Price

Lemon Cheese Cake - RM10 per slice
Green Tea Latte - RM11

Second Visiting Experience

Due to the large good reviews about Coffee Amo, and from most of the review, the place seems nice during day time, so I had planned for a second visit for Coffee Amo and this time, I'm going to order some of the top food & drinks.

It was 5pm, I walk up the stair just like before. It's not so scary now because I had been through this and it's still bright out there.

This time, the cafe is much more lively because all the tables & chairs are taken, except two single seat on the side. Just like before, the place has no music at all. But it feel a lot more like cafe because of the chit-chatting and the laughter from each table & seat.

I walk directly to the counter and look through the menu, despite knowing what I wanted to order. At least, this time the girl at the counter greet me politely with a nice smile. Without much delay, I order for Amo Waffle with Ice Cream and one of their signature coffee, Sweet 16.

Amo Waffle with Ice Cream & Sweet 16

I had a waffle few weeks ago, cost me RM6 for one waffle and taste just average. To compare with that, Amo Waffle with Ice Cream is really impressive & taste great. I was surprise to see the waffle is served in a large plate, although it's actually one whole waffle topped with maple syrup, with one big scoop of ice cream of top of it.

The outer side of the waffle is slightly crunchy, and the rest of the waffle taste really good. The center part of the waffle is soft and a little crunchy at the same time, so it taste quite balance for every bite. Taking each pieces of the waffle simply with maple syrup taste good, adding some ice cream to bite along really made an enjoyable taste.

Knowing that they only design 3D arts by milk foam on top of the coffee only for their signature coffee, I order one so that I can see how great is my first cup of coffee with cute looking art foam on top of it. I saw several different design on other people cup, so I guess the barrista are designing on their own preference.

I'm unsure of what actually sweet 16 is. It taste kind of like Cappuccino, but the coffee taste is heavier than a Cappuccino. Or perhaps this is a taste of their Cappuccino, I'm not sure. But the overall taste of sweet 16 is quite good, with a cute looking bear on top of it sure make your drinking experience quite different.

I got to say, I will go there again to try out other signature coffee. One of the main reason is for the sake of getting some cute design on top of my cup of coffee, as well as tasting how other signature coffee is. I would consider going there for breakfast to try out their sandwich too.

Following Visits....

It's another relaxing Sunday to finish up my own personal stuff before a busy working day tomorrow. Recently I just felt like something is summoning me to come back Coffee Amo for their signature coffee... Oh wait, I think it's because I watch a video tutorial on how to produce 3D Latte Art on Youtube.

As a lazy hog that woke up late today, I come here for brunch and of course, another taste of their signature coffee.
Unfortunately, they don't really serve anything that looks more like a proper lunch. So I just go for something that can last in my stomach longer. Smoked Chicken Sandwich (RM18) is another great sandwich in the list.

The smoked chicken slice is slightly thicker. For the size of meat slices, this is quite enough. This portion includes three layers of ordinary bread with random combination of smoked chicken slice, green veggie, toamtoes, melted cheese, and a bit of mayo in the middle of the breads.

The bread is nothing special, good thing is it's quite soft and slightly crunchy on the side. Veggie is quite fresh, no complaint at all. The smoked chicken slice is very nice, I like the texture and the taste. Easy to cut and tender for each bite. And the melted cheese is not the heavy cheesy type. Just the type of generic cheese flavor without extra saltiness like out there.
I was thinking to try any of their signature coffee that is less sweet so that it taste more like coffee. But the waitress told me all signature coffee taste the same.... Okay. I remember Sweet 16 was quite sweet (Seeing myself writing this sentence felt a little silly....). But I requested it to be less sweet. Although it's still quite sweet for me.

As usual, the 3D milk foam in this Ocean 11 (RM13) still make the coffee looks very appealing. It taste like caramel, perhaps it's a caramel macchiato. The sweetness make me feel like I'm drinking nescafe. I'm wondering what if they have this 3D latte art on a cup of Cappuccino.

Contact & Location

Open Daily from 10 am to 9pm

54, Jalan Sultan,
50000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Coffee Amo's Facebook: Click Here
Phone Number: +603-2857 2677
E-mail: management@coffeeamo.com


Near by Building & Shops: Nam Heong Restaurant, Einstein Cafe,

Coffee Amo is located at second floor beside a shop of Nam Heong Restaurant. To make it more convenient to find, the shop location is a corner shop. And it's facing the road.

If you are going by public transport, Maharajalela Monorail station is the nearest train station. After getting out from the train at Maharajalela station, you need to exit the station at the side where a Chinese temple located. Opposite side of the station is an abandoned area with car & metal scrap. Look for the entrance of the Chinese temple, you will eventually see China Town after crossing a few road. Walk towards China Town and Coffee Amo is somewhere on the left within 5 minutes walk from the Chinese temple.

Another alternative of going there by train is Pasar Seni LRT station. After getting off from the station, exit the station by walking down the stairs or the escalator, then walk straight to follow the walkway until you reach the road side. Turn right after passing by Geo Hotel and cross the road. There you should found Maybank on your right. Keep walking straight and you will reach China Town. Walk into the busy street and go straight when you reach the center of the street until the end of the road. You will see KK shop and many food stalls in front of KK. Now, turn right and walk further and you should be able to see Coffee Amo on your right within 5 minutes.

If you are driving and coming from Jalan Pudu or Pudu Sentral, you need to turn left after passing by Pudu Sentral to go to Petaling Street. At the first traffic light where you can see a Guardian on your right, turn left and you will reach Jalan Sultan. If you miss this turn, you will pass by Kota Raya and head to Petaling Street, then it's really difficult to go to Jalan Sultan.

Other Facility

Payment Type: Cash only
Wifi: Yes
Smoking Area: Not available

Nearby Option

  1. Einstein Cafe (two shops away): 58, Jalan Sultan, 50000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  2. The Front Door (few shops away): 78, Jalan Sultan, 50000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  3. Yum Cha Cafe (approx. 250m away): 143, Jalan Petaling, 50000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Rating

Quality:

Average. Their signature food & drinks are really signature. Great in terms of taste and appearance. But need much more improvement in other food & drinks apart of the signature section.

Portion:

Nice. You need to think twice if you are going there after a proper meal. Precisely, I don't recommend you to go for their cake after taking a main meal because it's quite stuffy. The coffee is alright thou. It's not too much and the overall taste doesn't make you feel too stuffy.

Service:

Good. Serving time is quite fast so you don't need to wait for long. And they are ready for your order as you reach the counter.

Cost:

Worthy. The price is quite average compare to other cafe out there. It would be better if the quality match the price.

Environment

Excellent. Great environment and feeling as the design come from the owner, not like any ordinary environment you can find out there. Great for chill & relax, study, working, and dreaming purpose.

Coffee Amo don't play any music at all so that their customers can focus on chit-chat with friends and do their own study/work peacefully. The only time when the place is noisy is when the seats are all taken, or when group of people at a certain table talk too loud. As the place is quite small, so one noisy table can make the place not quiet at all.

Next Visit?

If I happen to pass by Petaling Street again, or wanted to have breakfast with a nice cup of coffee with some touches of art on it.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Hello there. Thanks for your comment ;). Do let me know if you need more info

      Delete

Flickr Images

Latest Feeling

1) Need a break from food blogging. Focus on other life matters
2) Personal Life? Working Life? Are they two life or one life? Hmm...

Blog That I Follow

  • Newly open, yes.New jap at Ampang. Green house by muir, never thought it's a Japanese concept all in one : Bakery, grocery, cafe and even Japanese cuisine...
  • This Paris solo travel guide was written by Kristin Lee. Originally from a small town in Southern California, she has lived in the ever-charming French cap...
  • 清邁是個相當悠閒舒服的旅遊地點,是個有濃濃文藝氣息的古城,有許多挺有特色的咖啡館,街道旁小店外都有些有情調的小裝飾,個性的壁畫,美麗的掛飾,有格調的木雕。照常理來說,喜歡扮假文青的我應該會很喜歡清邁,可是我卻無法釐清自己對清邁那種複雜的感覺。 我並沒有太喜歡清邁。 一早起來,早餐當然是去我最愛的傳統...